The department of social work was established at the Faculty of Education, University of Tripoli in 1973, later on the Higher Institute of Applied Social Sciences was inaugurated in 1989, which became the Faculty of Applied Social Sciences. In 1997 the department of social work was established at the Faculty of Arts, which graduates social workers to work in various fields.The Social work Department specializes in preparing qualified specialists in the field of social work. Equipped with knowledge, skills, and contemporary professional experience
1.To provide students with social concepts and theories that contribute to the interpretation and understanding of societal reality.
2. To build students' capabilities to monitor and study social phenomena and analyze it, to demonstrate the positive aspects, and to address the negative aspects.
3. To provide students with basic skills in conducting theoretical and empirical social research, using scientific research techniques to analyze and explain social phenomena.
4. To enable students to use the results of reports, research and studies to provide explanations for social problems that hinder the progress and development of society.
5. To build the basic capabilities that qualify the graduate to complete postgraduate studies.
6. To propos and present national initiatives through critical and creative thinking to anticipate emerging problems that hinder social development programs
Department of Social Work, Faculty of Arts graduate Social workers to work in many fields.
Bachelor's degree in Social Work
1. The applicants should obtain a general secondary certificate, a specialized secondary certificate, or an equivalent certificate recognized by the authority.
2. The high school diploma should not be less than the percentage determined by the University of Tripoli.
3. Acceptance of admission of foreign students with scholarships at the expense of the community in accordance with the principles and rules that decide the admission of Libyan students.
4. International applicants have to pay the fees and expenses of studying according to legislation of the university.
5. The applicants should be healthy, free from infectious diseases, and able to follow theoretical and practical lessons.
6. Successfully passing the personal interview.
The Bachelor in Social Work prepares students to qualify for Bachelor in Social Work. The student studies several subjects which have been carefully chosen in this major to cover its different aspects.
It comprises 8 Semesters of study, in which the student will study a total of 124 units, which include 0 units of general subjects, and 0 major units
Study plan for this program is shown below: